Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Go-To Meal

Okay, ladies, I recognize that with young ones you do need to present healthy meals and did so also when I had young ones. I also admit that I was much more creative in the kitchen when I was a stay-at-home Mom. But now since it is only the two of us we generally are very easy to please and only go full hog during holidays. So, I LOVE easy.


So, what do I keep in my freezer to put together really quickly that will tantalize the taste buds? I keep several bags of Cavatelli made with Ricotta and several bags of frozen chopped broccolli. If I am lucky I will also find a few Sweet Italian Sausage links but it is not essential to the meal but sure does add zip.

Here goes:

Chop two LARGE onions
10 cloves of garlic sliced thin or chopped, I prefer sliced(I generally use more...the more the better...the more the sweeter)
Two bags of frozen Broccolli
About 1/2 cup of chicken broth, just enough to steam up the broccoli and keep the pasta moist (If none available you can use some of the pasta water.)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil, of course
One pound bag of frozen Cavatelli
~1/4 cup white wine

Sautee garlic and onion till golden in olive oil (I don't skimp). When golden add brocolli and sautee over HIGH heat for about three minutes. Add broth and wine and cover for about 3 minutes over Medium Heat or until fork tender. Cook Cavatelli. When done mix all together and serve.

Now, if you are fortunate to have sausages on hand you either barbecue them (that's what we do on our Jenn-Aire), broil them, or fry them. Start the sausages before you start the broccolli. When sausages are cooked (I like mine crispy) slice into pieces. When the broccolli mixture is done add the sliced sausages and cook for about another three minutes to meld all the flavors.

Of course you can always sprinkle with some cheese if you choose. Very easy and SO VERY DELICIOUS. And yes, this is healthy. But I also admit that it is just as easy to pop some Trader Joe's Orange Chicken in the oven and have dinner twenty minutes later.....that's when I get lazy.

Hope you have a chance to make this. It really is quite tasty. Sometimes we treat ourselves to some already made broccoli rabe and sausage from A&S. Broccoli Rabe is a very healthy food. Sausage, probably not so much!

Bon Apetito
Nicki

1 comment:

Jill B said...

That sounds WONDERFUL, Nicki! As luck would have it, both my kids stated at dinner tonight that they like broccoli. After picking my jaw up from off the floor, I resolved to find a meal with broccoli in it, and voila, here it is! Thank you!