Thursday, April 24, 2008

Healthy Pancake Make-Ahead Mix

Why use Bisquik (loaded with trans-fat) when you can quickly whip up a batch of dry mix on your own? I have tinkered with this quite a bit, and have upped the milk from 1/2 to a whole cup (I like my pancakes a little on the thin side). Here 'tis:

Healthy Pancake Dry Mix and Recipe

Dry Mix

2 cups all-purpose flour

¾ cup wheat flour

¼ cup flaxseed

6 tsp. baking powder

1/3 cup sugar

1 ½ tsp. Salt

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. If it won’t all be used within about a week, store in fridge because flaxseed spoils quickly.

Pancake Recipe:

1 cup dry mix

1 egg

1 cup milk

2 Tbsp. Oil

Because of the oil in the pancakes, you don’t really need any in the pan. These pancakes have such a nice flavor that when you have regular old pancakes again, they will seem bland and boring!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great cakes! I added cinnamon and nutmeg to mine for a little spice and I love them. I did need to add a little spray to my pan to get them not to stick but only for the first batch. Great mix!

JC

Unknown said...

Also, I am not sure if everyone grew up with this or not so I am going to add it here...For some fun cakes, put some batter in a ketchup type plastic bottle that you can get at the store in the summer in the picnic aisle and put a little batter in it.

Now you squeeze out pictures or words or letters like a smiley face into the pan. Let it cook for a little while and then pour the rest of the panckake mix over it to cover it. Now when you flip the cake over the design will show up a little darker than the cake and the kids will love it!