Friday, February 22, 2008

Travels in Foodland

Food is always on my mind. Whether I’m rationalizing my next handful of frozen dark chocolate chips from the freezer, or hiding wheat germ in my kids’ pancakes, or searching for the perfect cornbread recipe online (found it!), it seems I’m always either thinking about, researching or experimenting with food. (Or dealing with the more mundane reality of shopping for and cleaning up from meals). Food is a journey for me, a fascinating and often surprising one, and my family’s diet is constantly evolving.

One of the major epiphanies I had when I stopped working full-time is that I could make many things from scratch, and that this would be healthier, cheaper and tastier than buying packaged food (and as I would soon find out, much more time consuming as well). It was a joy to eat food that was real, homemade and free of preservatives. So far I’ve learned to make pie crust, homemade pizza dough, a killer chicken broth, and am learning to use a slow cooker. I have found a great recipe for homemade hamburger helper and for homemade pancake mix.

So this blog is a way for me to chronicle my kitchen experiments, food-related reading, and confessions (my kids still eat chicken nuggets, no matter how many times I’ve tried to quit them), and also to file recipes that have worked for my family. I love sharing recipes, and would love to sign on anyone interested as an author or recipe contributer.

No comments: